I completed the migration to the new webserver this evening. I spent a couple of hours tinkering about with case fans, disk caddies and memory, but shifting from a PII 233MHz system to a 700MHz Duron system required me to do, err, absolutely nothing with the software at all. Thanks to the modular Linux kernel all the various new bits of hardware were detected and the drivers loaded automatically. The network card, previously a Realtek, is now an Intel chipset. No problem. The CD-ROM drive is a different model. No problem. The CPU is a different manufacturer. No problem. The chipsets on the motherboard are different. No problem. The graphics card has gone from an onboard ATi chip to an nVidia PCI card. No problem.
I’ve seen Windows installations stuck in an endless blue screen cycle when a hard drive has been shifted from one box to another. Either one spends hours downloading and installing endless chipset drivers and rebooting the system every couple of minutes, or one ends up installing Windows from scratch. I’ll be sticking with my Debian installation, if you don’t mind.
Hopefully this new box will make the stuff served from it run faster, especially as it has been “ramped up” from 196MB RAM to 384MB. I’ve already noticed improvements in the speed of the wiki and gallery.Pin It