Well, I’m back to work tomorrow after a very enjoyable couple of weeks off. I’ve got a stack load of books and DVDs to watch now, thanks to various people’s generosity. 🙂 Most the projects I had on my todo list for the break haven’t been completed, and I’ve not read my 802.11 reference books yet, but the point of a holiday is to relax and not do work-stuff. However, today has been one of the most productive of the fortnight. I felt that I was trying to do too many things at once so I decided to concentrate on one project until the outstanding tasks were done, then move onto the next. As a result, I’ve achieved more today than I have in the last few combined.
So, today I sat down and worked out a bug in the School Tools setup routine and was able to release a patch for it. Even more fortunately it was entirely SQL based, so it was a simple patch to release. I’ve also upgraded my development environment for the project to Debian Sarge which means I’ll be developing it on MySQL 4.0 and PHP 4.3. I’ve replaced the project’s tedious HTML news page with another blog which means that not only is it easier and quicker for me to update, but there’s now an RSS feed. I’ll be interested to see how many people actually subscribe to it. 🙂 I’ve also made the Darcs repository available online, which also has its own RSS feed.
Reusing my blog code within the same site meant that I was finally able to justify spending the time to fix some bugs in it whilst implementing the changes I needed, including a very annoying one that meant I kept overwriting old blog posts when editing others. I’m very tempted to start using version control on more small projects like the blog code.Pin It