The overall principles of the project are:
End user objectives:
- To reduce the number of pedestrian methods of managing ICT support and resources in schools.
- To resolve users’ problems more quickly.
- To enable users to reserve resources more easily.
- To increase reliability of consumables supply.
- To enable users to request support from any computer.
ICT Support Staff Objectives:
- To automate the reservation of resources.
- To manage consumable resources more efficiently.
- To reduce the amount of time spent checking pedestrian records and fault logs.
- To allow cross-platform operation through a web interface.
- To use open source software that is available for a variety of platforms, so that the project can be used by those who don’t use an open source operating system.
- To allow system managers to “pick and choose” which elements of the project they use.
- To use a clear, simple, and consistent web interface across the different elements of the project.
- To provide clear documentation for the project, in the form of on-line help for users, well-commented PHP pages, and documents detailing the database structures and the process for developing each strand.